• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:11 pm

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:55 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Hello...I have a Galant ES 2000 w/ 100400 miles on the clock. About a week ago I noticed the car was shifting roughly between 2nd and 3rd gear. It takes about 3 - 5 seconds for the switch to take place. It does that during the initial driving of the day, after about half hour drive the shifting is fine, you can still notice it, if you pay super close attention to it. To the best of my knowledge the trany has never had the fluid changed, but it's still red. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:40 pm 
GF Made
GF Made

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6
Engine: 6G72 Turbo
If the fluid has never been changed, then it is way overdue, even if it "looks" red. What does the fluid smell like? If it has a burnt smell, then that is also an indication to change, but it is still a good idea to change the fluid at the intervals on your owner's manual.

I would recommend a tranny flush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:27 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

i agree mine did the samething i changed it (but my fluid was really dirty almost black)....if you do it yourself using the service manuals its about 40 bucks not that hard of a job and you need about 8qts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:49 am 
Lurker
Lurker

I HAVE AN '01 AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I'VE TAKEN IT TO TRANNY SHOPS 3 TIMES SO FAR, AND THEY CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT. I NEED HELP WITH THIS ISSUE TOO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:00 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Since I started the topic I might as well tell you exactly what's the status.
*My Fluid did not need replacement as it still smells like "plastic" and it's still red.
*My A/T fluid Filter had begun to rust so I had it changed. Spin-off filter $20.
*The ultimate problem - Fluid was a little below level so I just toped it off.
*Finally because my car has over 100K miles, I just have to let it warm up a bit longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:13 am 
GF n00b
GF n00b

a flare/rough/multiple shift from 2 to 3 usually indicates a worn overdrive/reverse clutch drum.
it can be replaced without removal of the transmission, but isnt necessarily cheap (the clutch is around 400 bucks, if I remember correctly).
also, the fluid change interval is every 30k (which often isnt enough for abusive drivers)... get it FLUSHED if its never been done. Deteriorated fluid can cause deteriorated shift quality.
a drain and fill once a year is what I do to my car during a routine oil change. Its VERY, VERY easy. easier than the actual oil change for most mitsus.
cars that have their fluid changed at the recommended intervals suffer far less from this particular issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:20 pm 
manybrews wrote:
a flare/rough/multiple shift from 2 to 3 usually indicates a worn overdrive/reverse clutch drum.
it can be replaced without removal of the transmission, but isnt necessarily cheap (the clutch is around 400 bucks, if I remember correctly).
also, the fluid change interval is every 30k (which often isnt enough for abusive drivers)... get it FLUSHED if its never been done. Deteriorated fluid can cause deteriorated shift quality.
a drain and fill once a year is what I do to my car during a routine oil change. Its VERY, VERY easy. easier than the actual oil change for most mitsus.
cars that have their fluid changed at the recommended intervals suffer far less from this particular issue.

Manybrews, now that we're on this subject...I was talking to the dealership and they wanted to charge like $170 someodd bucks for a flush and fill of the Tranny and they told me they have a machine that does it and cleans out more than we could just draining it and the TC.

Does this hold true? Is it really worth the $170? The way I am on my transmission with the track, etc I want to be certain that my tranny is on tip top shape...I plan to get a cooler and gauge soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:33 pm 
GF n00b
GF n00b

Tech_Greek wrote:

Manybrews, now that we're on this subject...I was talking to the dealership and they wanted to charge like $170 someodd bucks for a flush and fill of the Tranny and they told me they have a machine that does it and cleans out more than we could just draining it and the TC.

Does this hold true? Is it really worth the $170? The way I am on my transmission with the track, etc I want to be certain that my tranny is on tip top shape...I plan to get a cooler and gauge soon.

yeah, a trans flush changed about 95 percent of the fluid, where as a drain and fill gets about 50.

if its been neglected, a flush is a good idea. 170 bucks is pretty much the norm, as it takes about an hour and 12 quarts of fluid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:03 pm 
GF Driven
GF Driven

also make sure to use the correct fluid. not all ATF meets mitsu's standards. make sure it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:51 am 
Lurker
Lurker

As said before. use synthetic Amsoil ATF for the flush and fill, it will solve a lot of tranny bumps and lumps. You can use Diamond III but it doesnt cost much less and it will need doing more often.

You'll notice a hell of a difference going synthetic

NEVER use dextron3, its no-where near the right spec.

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information