• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 am

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information » 8G - Knowledge Base

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How To: Remove Dash
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:26 pm 
CEO
CEO

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Engine: 4G64
Quote:
Here you go Jason, I decided to make a brand new How To on removing dash since i didnt like the other one.

Disclaimer Statement:
The following information herein is provided as public information with the understanding that I, ADExternal, am not responsible for either expressed or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information. Which also includes accidents, breakage, or other errors that may occur during this process.

Tools:
- Small Flathead Screwdriver
- Large Size Flathead Screwdriver
- Mid Size < 4in neck Phillips Screwdriver
- Ratchet w/ 3in extension, 12mm *10mm not 12*
- Tiny Allen wrench set

1) Unplug battery terminal before you do anything so you can work on the dash while waiting. I took the negative off which will cut the circuit to the entire car electrical. This is to prevent the air bags to deploy when your taking it out which I will later get into full detail.
Note: Unplug and wait 40mins with the doom lights running to be 100% sure all electric is totally drained, set a timer for precaution.
Also un-plug any other batteries if applicable.

2) You have to remove center vent, radio trim, side panel and side pillar trims, these can be popped off with the small flathead screwdriver. You can wrap the flathead with a cloth or tape as to not damage the area around or the piece itself. I would recommend getting clearance with a screwdriver for the pillar pieces and pull it off with your hand.
Note: Remember the hazard light has a plug that is connected so you need to unplug it when you remove the center vent.
Each side pillar trims have 3tabs and 3clips don’t lost any of them.

3) Center vent, side panel and trims are off; you can take off the gauge bezel. By tilting the steering wheel down for extra clearance. Then there will be 2 screws underside inside the cluster trim. Remove those two screws push the bottom in a little since there is two plastic hook holding the bottom and pull the top outward slowly while remembering to push the bottom in.
Note: Dimmer wire is connected to this piece and don’t forget to disconnected since you can reach behind it.

4) Remove the actual speedometer/cluster. This is just held up by 4 screws at each end. You will clearly see them at each corner, unscrew these, and pull the speedometer/cluster outward by tilting the top towards you first. Then disconnect the harnessed at each side on the back of the speedometer.
Note: Put this piece where there is no electrical current, it is not entirely fragile but better to be safe then sorry.

5) Go to the glove box and open it, take everything out, the glove box is held up by hangers at the bottom. I would unscrew the front panel from the inside on the side of the container and the lock/latch. When you finish, the front panel and a metal piece will fall from the container and just left it off from the hangers then you can slide the container back and pull it out. You will see two bolts through the bottom of the dash. Remember those.
Note: You will need an Allen wrench but I just used a smaller screwdriver pushed really hard to get the screws of the lock/latch off.

6) Remove the bottom section of the dash starting with the passenger side where you just remove the glove box. You will need to remove 2 screws at the bottom (behind the glove box was) 2 on back top and 1 at the front top. Then there are two screws on the left side of the center consol that holds that piece also, 1 on top and 1 on the bottom screws. Then there are two located behind center bezel that was taken off earlier holding the top and bottom dash together. Then the bottom piece, which sits above the lights and ashtray, should also come out with the entire piece with a little tug from the center.
Note: Unscrew the AC controller before and hold it up while you pull the bottom piece from underneath.

7) Remove the radio. There are screws behind the radio that is holding it back. Unscrew those, pull the radio out and unplug all the wires and harness.
Note: You do NOT have to remove this and just have it sitting on top of the AC Controller, just have it off the dash portion.

8 ) Moving on to the bottom dash of the driver side. 1 screw left top and 1 bottom left side of the steering wheel then 1 screw on the top and 1 on the bottom but on the right side. Then unscrew 2 that are holding the hood latch at the bottom. The piece should come out now.
Note: There are tabs holding the top of the piece, just tug on that a little and it will pop out.

9) Use an extended ratchet to unbolt the left side, right side, and where the cluster use to be, 3 bolts total for that. Then remove two bolts that you saw from step 5 that secures a safety bar. After removing that, there are 4 bolts holding on the airbag in the same area. Unbolt those four; there is a wire on the left side of the area that is connected to the airbag. The wire will be secured with a clip holding the plug together, unclip it then unplug the airbag. Push the airbag upward and the top should pop off and pull it out.
Note: By the time you finish up to Step 8, 40mins should elapse already.

10) Last part is where you will need to pull out the entire dash. You might need another person for this one step. Again with the steering wheel is at its lowest position, you will grab a hold of the dash and pull up and outward, might seem like nothings happening at first but you will eventually have something tugging on it during the process. When that happens, raise the dash upward a bit more and pull it out. You will finally get it loose, most of the time its easier to get out by the passenger side, so have both doors open while your trying to remove the top dash. After a couple of tugs and pulls it should come outward. Just slide it out towards the passenger side. If your alone, sit in the driver seat pull the dash from the center outward. You can have the dash’s right side set hanging out of the window while resting the left side on the center consol. Go around to the passenger window and pull the rest out.
Note: Precaution for any wires can be caught while pulling it out.

Written by Wynn

Picture Dump

Prophet's Help Desk

Post subject: Re: How To: Remove Dash
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:39 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

I have the revised proper wording and more detailed instrution at work before i did my dash if you want it Jason.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:49 pm 
CEO
CEO

ADExternal wrote:
I have the revised proper wording and more detailed instrution at work before i did my dash if you want it Jason.

That would be awesome bro... then I can just add my pictures to it... and we will have worked on a tutorial together... :willynilly:

Prophet's Help Desk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:26 am 
GF Driven
GF Driven

Actually Jason I am going to call bull shit right now because anyone who follows that just put their passenger at a serious risk. I'm calling bullshit on cutting those nylon cords holding the cover on. Those cords are not as thick as they are for no reason. They hold the sides of the panel in place so when the airbag is deployed it breaks as the airbag comes through. Having that panel just sit there on the dash, the airbag is going to deploy and will ride on that bag right into the face of the passenger. It is possible to remove the airbag before you remove the dash if you do it in a different step. I'll go through my steps, not in detail. As I was reading I decided to write a correct procedure, easier, and most important, Safer.With a drill I could have the dash apart in less than 10 minuts. I was going to do a tutorial on the heater core but my camera broke halfway through. I only went the route I did because of the serious cracks in my dashboard.

Of course as with working with unpluging electrical connections and around airbags you must unplug the battery for your safety. I just unplugged the ground. If removing the dash completely, first step is to remove the interior pillar pieces. I do that first becuase if that clip flies out you can find it without searching through the pile of lose parts that end up on the floor board.If they stay attached to the pillar they're fine. Original equipment clips are design to hold on to the pillar on both the inside and outside but i removed them and put them back on their tabs.

I start on the driver side. Remove fuse panel cover. Philips head screwdriver, remove the two screws holding the top of the cluster bezel. Steering tilt low. after removal of the bezel, slide the scews into their home and tape them down w/ painters tape. Remove the 4 screw holding in the cluster. Set aside, most of the brass screws are all the same so you can pile those together. Move down to the floor, two screws hold the hood latch, take hood latch tuck into carpet behind the brake pedal. Remove the lower dash panel. Get back in driver seat. I can pop the the radio bezel by hand, after bezel, radio, then release AC Cont cables and remove switch unit. Move down and remove the the gear shift trim bezel, then remove astray. I can take both hands to the ashtray housing and pop it out, careful not to pull too hard on the wires attached to the power outlet and lightter. stuff wires next to SRS unit bolted to the floor under heater box. next is cup holder removal, two screws under black rubber pad. Pull the Park brake handle to the up position. There should be 6 screws holding the center console remove, park brake handle helps me guide it home on reinstall and the gear shift should be in the low gear position.

Move around to the passenger side. Remove dash side panel. Open glove box and remove. Pop the blower housing lower cover out of place by popping out the push in style clips. Unsrew two black screws to the left and the right of the glove compartment latch. Remove remaining screws and release passenger side lower dash panel. Look into the dash. Bright yellow wire, red clip and green cover, Carefully lift the green cover and disconnect. This is your airbag wire. Route the wire up and tuck into the nylon cable attached to the side of the air bag housing. There are 4 bolts that hold the airbag inplace, before removing bolts it may be a good idea to take a long extension and tap on the bottom of the airbag cover to help release it from the dash. Remove the four bolts from the airbag housing unit. after bolt removal, airbag is now held in place by tabs built into the dash support brackets. Slowly push entire airbag assembly up and remove. Set in safe place with the cover facing up. Becareful when removing becuase the green cover is open and will not close unless plugged in. Move back around to driver side. on column, one screw next to ignition switch. covers then pop off. to the left of column releas the two electrical clips then release and move the white wire bracke. loosen the two bolts below the steering column to bring the steering wheel further down allowing more room to work. Reach under the dash and unclip hazard cable. There is no need to remove the vents because the air tubes are mounted to the dash unit and will come out. After removing remaining screws, remove dash assembly.

Jason I hope you dont think i'm trying to step on your toes or anything but the positing of that airbag is so it comes up and then straight out. With the airbag inflating upwards of 200mph, that little plastic cover will seriously hurt someone and I just couldn't sit here with out saying anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:34 am 
CEO
CEO

Bro you ain't stepping on my toes... I have never taken a dash out and what I had posted was a copy and paste from a thread I had found on TGC. If there is something wrong then speak up... that includes any How To's I personally do. I apperciate you letting us know your thoughts because safety is always our concern and if there is something wrong in what I had posted please correct... until I do it myself I do not know what I am getting into... rather have a shit load of info going in rather then no info...

Prophet's Help Desk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:42 am 
GF Driven
GF Driven

alright cool, I just kind of feel bad for those who read that and then went out and cut those cords....or even if they sell the car to someone else....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 am 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Lol no worries, im looking for the revised one i did after finishing my dash. You DONT have to cut anything to take the dash air bags or watever out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:51 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

Here you go Jason, I decided to make a brand new How To on removing dash since i didnt like the other one.

Disclaimer Statement:
The following information herein is provided as public information with the understanding that I, ADExternal, am not responsible for either expressed or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information. Which also includes accidents, breakage, or other errors that may occur during this process.

Tools:
- Small Flathead Screwdriver
- Large Size Flathead Screwdriver
- Mid Size < 4in neck Phillips Screwdriver
- Ratchet w/ 3in extension, 12mm
- Tiny Allen wrench set

1) Unplug battery terminal before you do anything so you can work on the dash while waiting. I took the negative off which will cut the circuit to the entire car electrical. This is to prevent the air bags to deploy when your taking it out which I will later get into full detail.
Note: Unplug and wait 40mins with the doom lights running to be 100% sure all electric is totally drained, set a timer for precaution.
Also un-plug any other batteries if applicable.

2) You have to remove center vent, radio trim, side panel and side pillar trims, these can be popped off with the small flathead screwdriver. You can wrap the flathead with a cloth or tape as to not damage the area around or the piece itself. I would recommend getting clearance with a screwdriver for the pillar pieces and pull it off with your hand.
Note: Remember the hazard light has a plug that is connected so you need to unplug it when you remove the center vent.
Each side pillar trims have 3tabs and 3clips don’t lost any of them.

3) Center vent, side panel and trims are off; you can take off the gauge bezel. By tilting the steering wheel down for extra clearance. Then there will be 2 screws underside inside the cluster trim. Remove those two screws push the bottom in a little since there is two plastic hook holding the bottom and pull the top outward slowly while remembering to push the bottom in.
Note: Dimmer wire is connected to this piece and don’t forget to disconnected since you can reach behind it.

4) Remove the actual speedometer/cluster. This is just held up by 4 screws at each end. You will clearly see them at each corner, unscrew these, and pull the speedometer/cluster outward by tilting the top towards you first. Then disconnect the harnessed at each side on the back of the speedometer.
Note: Put this piece where there is no electrical current, it is not entirely fragile but better to be safe then sorry.

5) Go to the glove box and open it, take everything out, the glove box is held up by hangers at the bottom. I would unscrew the front panel from the inside on the side of the container and the lock/latch. When you finish, the front panel and a metal piece will fall from the container and just left it off from the hangers then you can slide the container back and pull it out. You will see two bolts through the bottom of the dash. Remember those.
Note: You will need an Allen wrench but I just used a smaller screwdriver pushed really hard to get the screws of the lock/latch off.

6) Remove the bottom section of the dash starting with the passenger side where you just remove the glove box. You will need to remove 2 screws at the bottom (behind the glove box was) 2 on back top and 1 at the front top. Then there are two screws on the left side of the center consol that holds that piece also, 1 on top and 1 on the bottom screws. Then there are two located behind center bezel that was taken off earlier holding the top and bottom dash together. Then the bottom piece, which sits above the lights and ashtray, should also come out with the entire piece with a little tug from the center.
Note: Unscrew the AC controller before and hold it up while you pull the bottom piece from underneath.

7) Remove the radio. There are screws behind the radio that is holding it back. Unscrew those, pull the radio out and unplug all the wires and harness.
Note: You do NOT have to remove this and just have it sitting on top of the AC Controller, just have it off the dash portion.

8 ) Moving on to the bottom dash of the driver side. 1 screw left top and 1 bottom left side of the steering wheel then 1 screw on the top and 1 on the bottom but on the right side. Then unscrew 2 that are holding the hood latch at the bottom. The piece should come out now.
Note: There are tabs holding the top of the piece, just tug on that a little and it will pop out.

9) Use an extended ratchet to unbolt the left side, right side, and where the cluster use to be, 3 bolts total for that. Then remove two bolts that you saw from step 5 that secures a safety bar. After removing that, there are 4 bolts holding on the airbag in the same area. Unbolt those four; there is a wire on the left side of the area that is connected to the airbag. The wire will be secured with a clip holding the plug together, unclip it then unplug the airbag. Push the airbag upward and the top should pop off and pull it out.
Note: By the time you finish up to Step 8, 40mins should elapse already.

10) Last part is where you will need to pull out the entire dash. You might need another person for this one step. Again with the steering wheel is at its lowest position, you will grab a hold of the dash and pull up and outward, might seem like nothings happening at first but you will eventually have something tugging on it during the process. When that happens, raise the dash upward a bit more and pull it out. You will finally get it loose, most of the time its easier to get out by the passenger side, so have both doors open while your trying to remove the top dash. After a couple of tugs and pulls it should come outward. Just slide it out towards the passenger side. If your alone, sit in the driver seat pull the dash from the center outward. You can have the dash’s right side set hanging out of the window while resting the left side on the center consol. Go around to the passenger window and pull the rest out.
Note: Precaution for any wires can be caught while pulling it out.

Written by Wynn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:29 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

thank you guys!! i really need this... i'm going to do it by next year though... i'm too far into show season to try an re-do the whole interior now but thanks in advance!! right now my interior is blue, black and silver.... i'll post pics up on my build thread later

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:33 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

This is probably my first How To: I written. How was it? Can you comprehend everything or should i break it down even more?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:40 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

just pictures... but i know u guys are working on that already... but its good!!! :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:00 pm 
CEO
CEO

Okay first post has been updated with pictures and Wynn's write up...

Prophet's Help Desk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:03 pm 
GF Proven
GF Proven

dam jason, thats hhell alot of pictures. I think the only thing was left out was the glove box, beautiful pics bro.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:13 pm 
CEO
CEO

ADExternal wrote:
dam jason, thats hhell alot of pictures. I think the only thing was left out was the glove box, beautiful pics bro.

:lol: that is because I don't have a glove box. It was complety gutted awile back when I had a PS2 installed. All I have is the lid...

Prophet's Help Desk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:07 am 
GF Proven
GF Proven

ill take some tommarow so you can post that part up too. It was somewhat a hassle if you dont really know what to do.

Board index » 8th Generation Mitsubishi Galant [ 1999 - 2003 ] » 8G Galant - General Information » 8G - Knowledge Base